The first phase of Hydro One’s Corporate Office Renovation is a pilot project for Hydro One which will be used as a model for creating healthy office space for its employees and an example for future renovation projects. As LEED Consultants, Green Reason worked with the project team to create a sustainable office environment including:
- Lighting system designed to reduce power required to illuminate the space by 20% below the standard benchmark for office lighting design.
- The HVAC system achieves energy savings with appropriate zoning and controls. The system addresses each solar exposure separately and allows for heating and cooling zones to be separated.
- An enhanced commissioning program was completed for the space. An independent third party commissioning agent led the commissioning process to ensure all lighting and HVAC systems were functioning efficiently and in accordance with the design.
- To complement the efficient base building washroom fixtures, the faucet installed in the staff lunch room has a flow rate to 5.7 litres per minute. Combined, the calculated water usage is 30% below conventional water fixtures.
- All kitchen appliances and most office equipment is Energy Star rated to reduce plug load.
- New construction materials such as carpet, drywall, insulation, ceiling tiles and millwork were chosen to maximize recycled content.
- Almost 70% of construction materials and new furniture used on the project were manufactured in or near Southern Ontario which reduces the environmental impact of shipping long distances.
- An Indoor Air Quality Test was completed before staff moved in to confirm that measures implemented during the renovation successfully protected the indoor air quality.
This project was awarded LEED® Canada-CI Gold Certification from the Canada Green Building Council in June 2013.
Download PDF of Project Profile